Long Tail Keywords
- Keyword phrases composed of three or more words that are more specific than a single keyword.
- These are usually more likely to convert to sales than shorter
Finding Long Tail Keywords
Extracting from Relevant Web Pages
- Extract top 50 keyphrases from keyword research.
- Search Google, Yahoo and Bing for each term.
- For each page in the top 20 results, extract the unique usable text on the page.
- Remove stop words and filter by phrase size.
- Remove instances of terms/phrases already in your keyword research database.
- Sort through the most common parts first and comb as far down as you feel valuable.
Using Google Suggest
Type the suggested keywords to get recommendations.
Mining Keyword Research Tools
- If you discover a long tail term in your tool, it is likely that people will use similar term.
- For example you found pizza san diego delivery, then it is likely that people will search for pizza orlando delivery also.
User-Generated Content Strategies
- Great way to have lots of content that will help attract long tail traffic.
- Forums, reviews, blog comments and a way to upload videos or images.
- The downside is that you have to moderate it.
- Also is difficult to establish an online community like a forum.
- Use of keywords varies over time. For example, major holidays lead to burst of keyword volume related to those holidays.
- Important to have your site visible for those terms before a specific holiday.
- Use Google Trends for specific terms.
page revision: 53, last edited: 01 Aug 2013 12:02