- Set up a webmaster tools account
- Install Analytics Tracking: Google Analytics is free and easy to use.
- Follow web standards for HTML and CSS.
- Generate an XML sitemap.
- Create a robots.txt file.
- Create a favicon.ico
- Fix your homepage
- Consistent title structure
- Meta-descriptions on every page.
- Add social media sharing buttons.
- Put non-www to www redirects: Decide what version of your URLs you want to use, and then 301 redirect everything else to the preferred version.
- Unique urls for each product/service: Make sure that there is only one unique URL for each product or service your company offers.
- Create a custom 404 page
- Include keyword-rich alt attributes
What not to do
page revision: 4, last edited: 07 Dec 2011 11:26